Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate, a natural substance that is crystalline but often appears as a fine powder. This alkaline substance has antibacterial, antifungal, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties. It is also a powerful medical tool effective at combating everything from colds to oral problems to skin issues. Drinking baking soda – also called bicarbonate of soda or sodium bicarbonate―dissolved in water, has long been used to relieve the signs and symptoms of arthritis, indigestion, heartburn, and infection, among other maladies. Baking soda, consumed in moderate portions and at appropriate times, helps bring about healthy body biochemistry. Baking soda also makes a perfect stand-in for many personal care products, which are adding their own twist to the toxic tangle of pollutants and personal health (mainly in the form of synthetic fragrance (and it’s almost all synthetic), sodium laurel sulfate, and parabens).
All in all baking soda has a ton of amazing uses:
- Cleaning microwave ovens and conventional ovens.
- Removing grease stains from wood furniture and gas stoves.
- Disinfecting and deodorizing a cutting board.
- Cleaning various knobs and buttons without accidentally removing the paint or indicators.
- Soften your laundry and eliminate odors.
- Remove yellow stains from clothes and underwear.
- Deodorize your shoes.
- Get smells off your hands.
- Remove odors from refrigerators and microwaves.
- Eliminate bad smells from garbage cans.
- Treat indigestion (sodium bicarbonate is an effective antacid).
- Remove gases caused by the consumption of vegetables.
- Reduce irritation caused by poison ivy or a jellyfish sting.
- Soothe itching and irritation caused by chickenpox.
- Alleviate the pain of tonsillitis and speed up the recovery process.
Baking Soda And Vinegar Shampoo
Start by mixing 1 part baking soda with 3 parts water. I have shoulder length hair and mix about 2 to 3 tablespoon of baking soda with 3 times that amount of water in a small squeeze bottle. You can adjust this depending on your hair length.
Apply the baking soda and water mixture to dry or wet hair by starting at the roots and working to the ends.
Let it sit for 1 – 3 minutes then rinse with warm water.
You may also choose to help seal in moisture by rinsing with a vinegar rinse afterwards. Simply mix 1 part apple cider vinegar to 4 parts water and add a few drops of your favorite essential oils to mask the smell of the vinegar and impart more nutritional elements. Pour the mixture over your hair with your head tilted back to avoid getting the rinse in your eyes. Wait a few moments and then rinse with cool water. This process helps to alkalize the ph balance of your hair and also imparts shine.
If you’re looking for an all natural, chemical free and earth friendly product to cleanse your hair and leave it smooth and shiny, give this baking shampoo recipe a try.