Ingrown toenails are a common toe condition where the side or the corner of the toenail starts to grow towards the soft flesh of the toe. This causes redness, pain, swelling; and could also result in an infection. The big toe is the most affected toe by an ingrown toenail or Onychocryptosis. Most of the times, the ingrown toenail can be taken care of at home. If the pain or discomfort is not relieved by home remedies, and if the pain is increasing, then you need to visit a doctor where certain measures will be undertaken to relieve the discomfort and avoid other complications of ingrown toenails
Ingrown toenails can be caused by many things. The first and most prominent thing is heredity. Also improper footwear that crowd the toenails, improper nail cutting technique, trauma or nail injury.
Severe Symptoms of Ingrown Toenails or Onychocryptosis Include:
Acute discomfort and pain in the toe. Presence of redness or pus which increases or spreads to the surrounding region. Medical conditions like diabetes increases the risk of complications of ingrown toenail as it causes decreased blood circulation to the feet.
Here are some of the at home remedies that you can use to treat ingrown toenails:
- Apple cider vinegar has a lot of benefits for health care. One of its benefits is to treat ingrown toenail. Simply, you can get direct application of the apple cider vinegar or use some tablespoons mixed in water for foot soaking.
- Lavender essential oil. These natural antibiotics can also be applied on the ingrown toenail to get immediate relief from the problem of ingrown toenail.
- Antibioitic ointment, It is really essential to keep the feet and the affected area clean. So apply antibiotic ointment on regular basis, wrap it around with bandage and keep the affected area clean.
- Lemon. Take a slice of lemon and wrap it around the ingrown toenail and secure it with bandage. Let this sit overnight and reheat the procedure until you get the ingrown nail to cure.
- Onion. Using onion is a good remedy for curing problem of an ingrown toenail. To use onion for ingrown toenails, you can apply onion pulp on the infected toenails to cure the infection. Furthermore, onion juice can also be applied on the affected toe to reduce the inflammation.
- Aloe Vera. This is one of the best at home remedies that you can use in your own home. Apply aloe Vera gel to your ingrown toenail couple of times a day. It will cool it down and release some of the discomfort. The healing properties of aloe Vera will take care of the infection.
- Epsom salt. Epsom salt is also known as magnesium sulphate. However, there is a qualm whether the Epsom salt actually works for an ingrown toenail or not. But, it softens the skin of the affected area, which makes it easy to draw out the toenail from the skin. One can take treatment of Epsom salt by adding a large heap of it in water, and soaking in the foot for about 18-20 minutes. You should repeat it two times a day. This is an effective remedy to heal an ingrown toenail.