Lending its hallmark peppery/earthy flavor and vivid yellow-gold color to traditional South Asian and Middle Eastern dishes, turmeric is an unmistakable spice. But when you add up the mounting number of studies chronicling the health benefits of turmeric, it’s clear that you’re wise to move beyond those traditional uses and start using it in all sorts of dishes. These days, turmeric has duly earned its place in your spice rack.
In its acceptance speech of this place of honor among your most highly ranked spices, turmeric would be remiss to not give credit to curcumin. Curcumin is the compound that gives the spice its trademark color and trademark health benefits, including anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antitumor, antibacterial, and antiviral properties
Here are some easy and delicious turmeric smoothie recipes:
Mango and turmeric vitamin C smoothie
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 large ripe banana
- 1 large orange such as a navel orange with the rind removed
- 1/2 in peeled fresh turmeric or about 1/4-1/2 TB turmeric powder
- 1 cup frozen mango chunks
- Add the ingredients to a high-speed blender starting with the liquid/soft ingredients and finally adding the frozen (hard) mango chunks.
- Blend the smoothie for 40-60 seconds, until well combined.
Pineapple turmeric smoothie
- 1 ripe banana
- ½ tsp grated fresh ginger
- ½ tsp grated fresh turmeric
- ¼ of a cucumber
- ¼ of a pineapple
- 1 Tbsp hemp hearts
- Juice of ½ lemon
- ½ cup coconut water
- ½ cup coconut milk
- Add all ingredients to blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Enjoy within 20 minutes post-workout.
Golden Beet, Carrot and Turmeric Smoothie
- 2 golden beets, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 banana, peeled, sliced and frozen
- 4 mandarin oranges, peeled
- 1 lemon, juiced
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1½ cup cold water
- Optional Topping
- grated carrot
- hemp seeds
Add all ingredients into a high-powered blender and blend until smooth. Pour into glasses and add any optional toppings.
Wild blueberry and turmeric smoothie
- 1 cup frozen Wild Blueberries
- 1 cup brewed green tea
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 1/2 cup cashews, raw, unsalted
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour into glass; garnish if desired.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Carrot, ginger and turmeric smoothie
- 1 large ripe banana, previously peeled, sliced and frozen (more for a sweeter smoothie)
- 1 cup (140 g) frozen or fresh pineapple
- 1/2 Tbsp fresh ginger (1 small knob, peeled)
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric (or sub cinnamon)
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) carrot juice
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice (~1/2 small lemon)
- 1 cup (240 ml) unsweetened almond milk
- To the blender add smoothie ingredients and blend on high until creamy and smooth. Add more carrot juice or almond milk if it has trouble blending. Scrape down sides as needed.
- Taste and adjust flavors as needed, adding more banana or pineapple for sweetness, lemon for acidity, ginger for bite, and turmeric for warmth.
- Divide between two glasses and serve. Best when fresh.