The premature graying problem is largely genetic. Hair follicles contain pigment cells that produce melanin, which gives your tresses their color. When your body stops generating melanin, hair presents itself as gray, white, or silver. (Melanin also provides moisture, so when less is produced, hair becomes brittle and loses its bounce.) “If your parents or grandparents grayed at an early age, you probably will too,” says David Bank, director of the Center for Dermatology, Cosmetic, and Laser Surgery in Mt. Kisco, N.Y. “There’s not much you can do to stop genetics.”
Having gray hair is a common occurrence to almost everyone especially at the adulthood stage. Hair has a tendency to lose its natural colour with advancing age and turn grey, but premature graying is a morbid condition and it makes even the young look older. The problem can be caused by factors like a genetic predisposition, poor nutrition, hormonal fluctuations, smoking, pollution, stress, use of unsuitable hair products, and certain diseases such as chronic colds, sinusitis, and thyroid disorders.
Here are the top 5 at home remedies for premature graying of hair:
Curry Leaves– Curry leaves help increase darker pigmentation in your hair. When combined with coconut oil, it works as a great hair tonic.
- Boil a handful of fresh curry leaves in a tablespoon of coconut oil until they become charred. Strain the oil.
- Massage it into your hair. Leave it on for 30 to 45 minutes before rinsing it out.
Follow this treatment at least once or twice a week.
Amla or Indian Gooseberry- Amla, by far, is considered the best remedy against premature greying of hair. Being rich in antioxidants and Vitamin C, it provides the anti-aging benefits. Include it in your diet, preferably raw and apply amla oil or pulp directly on your hair to get your naturally colored tresses back.
Henna– Apply the mixture of 2 spoons of henna powder, 1 spoon of yogurt, 1 spoon of fenugreek paste, 3 spoons of coffee, 2 spoons of basil leaves paste, and 3 spoons of mint juice on your hair. Shampoo after 3 hours .
Use this home remedy regularly to treat premature graying of hair naturally at home.
Coconut Oil and Lemon Juice– Coconut oil works wonders for your hair. It moisturizes your hair, stimulates hair growth, fights infections, and adds luster to your hair. When used for a prolonged time, it also helps reverse gray hair because it is packed with antioxidants.
- Mix three teaspoons of lemon juice in some coconut oil, enough for the length of your hair.
- Apply it to your hair and massage it into your scalp. Leave it on for at least an hour before shampooing your hair.
- Repeat on a weekly basis.
Ridge Gourd or Ribbed Gourd- Ridge gourd revitalizes the hair’s roots and helps to restore the pigment.
- Dry a few pieces of ridge gourd in shade.
- Soak them in coconut oil for 3-4 days.
- Boil the oil and ridge gourd on low flame until the oil turns black.
- Strain the oil and pour it into a container.
- Massage into scalp and leave on overnight or for 3 hours during the day.
- Repeat 3 times weekly.